Translate

Sunday 18 December 2011

EXPOSURES (FOOD PLACES) -- Okonomi House and John's

Well... I didn't exactly know what to blog about this week. A lot of things have happened, but I've also been busy with Christmas shopping (for myself and others [just kidding about myself -- Boxing Week is my "splurge on myself" week, lol]) and work. I didn't get much time to focus on one thing that I could blog about.

I was planning to do a review about Okonomi House, a food place I went to yesterday. But then I thought: I've only been to this place once. I can't really do a fair review, unless the food or service was so bad I would never go back to it. So now I will just briefly blog about my first impressions.

OKONOMI HOUSE
Location: 23 Charles Street West, Toronto, Ontario (close to Yonge & Bloor) Google Map
Contact # (From Google Map): 416-925-6176
Type(s) of Cuisine: Japanese
Specialty (if any): Okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake thing)
Price Range (for a main dish): Cheap -- $6.50-$13
Restaurant Size: Small
Recommend? Yes, if you like okonomiyaki

Brief Impression
The place looks a bit run down (table/booth-wise) and their menu looks a bit ghetto, but the employees there are polite, and the okonomiyaki was pretty good. Their noodle soup could use some kind of improvement. The service was very quick. Being affordable is also a plus.


JOHN'S
Location: 1048 Bathurst Street, Toronto, Ontario (close to Bathurst & Dupont) Google Map
Contact #: 416-535-2493
Type(s) of Cuisine: Latin/Venezuelan (do not trust their outdated website)
Specialty (if any): Unsure
Price Range (for a main dish): Unsure (it was a company team outing and my boss paid for us)
Restaurant Size: Small
Recommend? YES YES YES

Brief Impression
This place is great. The atmosphere is warm and the employees are friendly, polite, and they know their food. All the food I tried was awesome. I don't remember the names of them, but I had some deep fried plaintain thing with tomato bits and other things on top. My main dish was their special: filet mignon. Delicious. They also serve some kind of red wine that you can't get at LCBO. I didn't try the wine, but everybody else seemed to enjoy it. The desserts were delicious, too. I had a small serving of latte creme brulée (soft and moist), wine cake (it was okay), brownie (difficult to say because I poured Grand Marnier on it), and a small glass of Grand Marnier (it burns!! Blah! Yuck!). Just... check the restaurant out if you can, ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment