Translate

Sunday 11 March 2012

EXPOSURES (FOOD PLACES) -- Fuzen, Niwatei

Note: Things may start getting busier for me for the rest of the year as I take some classes to get more knowledge about my field of work, as well as attending Toastmaster meetings to improve my verbal communication (semi-boo to the last thing -- I think my shy, quiet nature is a part of who I am). Hopefully this won't affect my blogging schedule, but just getting it out in case it ever does.


FUZEN
Location: 132 Front Street East, Toronto, Ontario (close to Front & Lower Sherbourne) Google Map
Contact #: 416-363-0202
Website: Click!
Type(s) of Cuisine: Japanese
Specialty (if any): Unsure
Price Range (for a main dish): Mid -- ($11-$17 for lunch sets; California Rolls: $4.50; Dynamite Rolls: $7.95; Salmon Sashimi [5 pieces]: $8.95)
Restaurant Size: Small
Recommend? Yes!!

Brief Impression
The inside looks quite nice and clean. The menu has some really interesting items (at least, I've never heard of some of them before). Even though the price was a little up there, the food was really good (what we tried of it)!! We ordered dynamite rolls, lasagna rolls, takoyaki, and bulgogi rolls. Before our orders came, we got a complimentary cup-sized noodle dish (which tasted nice).

The bulgolgi rolls tasted like bulgolgi, though I personally don't think it works very well as sushi. The takoyaki were good, but a little small for its price. The dynamite rolls, though large in width, were short in height -- so I was able to fit one whole piece in my mouth (instead of thinking, darn! I can't eat this in one bite -- everything will crumble all over the place). They were delicious (and I got 9 pieces for my order)! The best thing, though, was the lasagna roll. Lasagna roll is essentially California rolls with this creamy crab sauce with shredded crab meat on top, baked. That creamy crab taste... Mmmmmmmmm!!! I would go back to this place just to have the lasagna rolls again. Afterwards, we also got a complimentary mango ice cream (yum!).


NIWATEI
Location: 3160 Steeles Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario (In J-Town, close to Steeles & Victoria Park) J-Town Map
Contact #: 905-513-6492
Website: Click!
Type(s) of Cuisine: Japanese
Specialty (if any): Ramen
Price Range (for a main dish): Mid -- $8-$12
Restaurant Size: Small
Recommend? Yes

Brief Impression
The place is cute, warm, and homey. Once you enter, there's a huge blue velvet-like curtain to go through -- then you're inside. There are framed drawings of their mascot on the wall, which is pretty cool. The employees are polite and nice. I like that you get a plastic pitcher full of water so you don't have to keep calling for a water refill. I ordered the miso ramen and it was good!... I can't seem to describe it in any other way than that, haha. I drank all the soup from the bowl.

I can't say right now that this is a must-go place for ramen (I only had one dish, and I haven't been to many ramen places to be able to compare), but if you are looking for a place with delicious ramen, Niwatei is such a place.

No comments:

Post a Comment