Translate

Sunday 10 June 2012

REVIEW/THOUGHTS [BOOKS] -- The Hunger Games Trilogy




SPOILER ALERT WARNING!!
THIS REVIEW WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS (didn't mean to yell, but had to emphasize that this warning is different from past blogs). Since I am reviewing the whole trilogy, I cannot help but spoil the books. So unless you have read the whole trilogy, I'd suggest only reading "Personal Standing" and "Overall Impression" and maybe my review on "The Hunger Games" if you've watched the movie (there will be a major, major spoiler for the 3rd book so really, don't).


PERSONAL STANDING (Pre-exposures, thoughts, etc.)
There was only one reason that drove me to read the books: I wanted resolve from the last scene in The Hunger Games movie (mentioned in my review of the movie; search for "There is only one thing I dread..." It's a spoiler, so don't check it out unless you've watched the movie). I was dreading how the second movie would be like because of that last scene -- that the focus would be around something that would not be that appealing to me.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
Overall, The Hunger Games trilogy is a very good read. There's romance, drama, suspense, and action. The writing style is very direct and straightforward. It's written in first-person and we get to see much of Katniss Everdeen's (main character) thoughts and reasoning. The first two books were exciting and touching; the last book not so much (I actually REALLY disliked the third book). It's still worth reading to tie up loose ends, but I personally hope that the Mockingjay movie will be better.

And there's my overall review of the trilogy. It's worth reading. Now stop here if you haven't read the books and don't want to be spoiled. Seriously, if you missed it in my spoilers warning message, I'll say it here: my review of the third book will have MAJOR SPOILERS -- don't go near it if you haven't read it.

********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************

THE HUNGER GAMES
 
STORY
The Hunger Games is a tournament/game where one girl and one boy from each District (there are 12 Districts) between 12-18 years of age are randomly selected. Then, in a range of two weeks, they must kill each other off until there is only one survivor -- and it is televised. This tournament/game is a form of entertainment to the Capitol (the city that rules over the 12 Districts) and a form of punishment to the Districts for trying to rebel 74 years ago. The Hunger Games follows Katniss Everdeen as she volunteers as a participant to protect her little sister Prim (who was originally selected).

PACING
The pacing is good, though I felt it was dragging a bit because I watched the movie. As I'm reading, I can't help but anticipate the next thing. That didn't stop me from reacting genuinely to the major events like Rue's death. I still cried (and I was in the subway while reading that part).

PEETA MALLARK
I just have to mention that I absolutely love Peeta Mallark. He's so sweet, loyal, protective (but not overly protective), and romantic. That guy totally hits "dream guy" status for me, haha.

THE NOVEL VS. THE MOVIE
The movie follows very closely to the novel, but the novel still has more content -- more scenes, more characterization, more... understanding. When I watched The Hunger Games movie, I wasn't sure if I liked Katniss because of that last scene where she was gazing longingly at Gale. All at once, I thought, You just played with Peeta's feelings. Here's what I thought leading up to that scene:

While watching the movie, when Peeta admitted that he liked Katniss during the interview, Katniss' expression, to me, showed that she believed him. Never once through the movie did she convey that she thought Peeta was making it up. So when she kissed him, when she reciprocated his affections, I thought it was genuine. Which of course made me surprised (and slightly pissed) when she gave such a yearning look to Gale. I wouldn't even say that she did it to survive, because the movie didn't present any moments where she and Peeta really needed gifts from sponsors. Katniss was just affectionate to Peeta, knowing that she was leading him on.

The novel conveyed something completely different, leading me to a different opinion:

Katniss thought Peeta had made it up just to play to the audience, in hopes of getting some sponsors. So when Katniss played the part of Peeta's lover, she thought he was just playing a part, too. It makes her character more honest, because she wasn't aware of Peeta's true feelings. Katniss was affectionate to Peeta, thinking they were playing their roles to win sponsors and survive (there was a moment in the novel where they really needed sponsor gifts).

By reading the novel, I could respect Katniss more.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I really enjoyed The Hunger Games. It was a little slow because I watched the movie (but that's how it's like whenever I read the book after having watched the movie). I would recommend that those who have watched the movie to read this book as well. There's just more meat and substance.

********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************

CATCHING FIRE
 
STORY
Catching Fire starts about six months after the last book. Katniss is now living in the Victor's Village (reserved for Hunger Games victors) in District 12 with her family. About a week before the victor's tour through the Districts (something that Hunger Games victors have to go through), Katniss gets a visit from President Snow (ruler of the Capitol -- so somebody with lots of power). He brings up that when Katniss brought out the poison berries (nightlock) during The Hunger Games, some of the Districts interpreted the gesture as a form of rebellion instead of a desperate act from somebody hopelessly in love. He threatens that unless she successfully conveys herself as Peeta's lover during the victor's tour (to diminish the growing desire to rebel), then her loved ones will die.

Then for the Quarter Quell (happens every 25 years -- the next Hunger Games will have a different set of rules), it's announced that the participants will be selected from the previous victors from each District -- meaning that Katniss will definitely be in the next Hunger Games.

PACING
The pacing is very good. For me, I didn't find any dull moments, and thankfully, not too many "love triangle" moments (that was what I was dreading from watching the last scene in The Hunger Games movie). The romantic scenes/gestures between her and Peeta just makes me all giddy, even though Katniss is still trying to figure out where her heart lies.

As I kept reading (close to halfway through), I was reaching the conclusion that this book won't have The Hunger Games at all. And I thought, It's a nice change of pace -- having a book series that doesn't follow the same structure in each book. I thought this book was just going to follow Katniss and her experience as a victor and maybe her experience as a mentor for the Hunger Games. I never imagined that she would be thrown back in, though once I realized what the Quarter Quell really was (I had thought it was just an event that happened every 25 years), I knew what the special rule would be.

I'm not disappointed, because so much happened, but... I think it would have been neat.

FINAL THOUGHTS
This was a very enjoyable read. I'm looking forward to seeing how the movie will be like. Just one more thing: I'd advise you to have the third book handy, because Catching Fire ends in such a cliffhanger...

********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************

MOCKINGJAY
 
STORY
So Katniss is in District 13, a District that has been "dead" to everybody else for many years. District 13 has spent the last 74 years building up resources to overthrow the Capitol. But they need the other Districts to join in as well. To help rally the other Districts and encourage that rebelling is the answer, they want Katniss to play the "Mockingjay" -- the symbol of rebellion. All the while, Peeta is in the hands of the Capitol.

PACING
The pacing here is much slower. Maybe it's because I don't like war stories. Maybe it's because I'm visualizing more scenes that do nothing for me than what I visualized in the previous books. Maybe it's because there's next-to-no romance in this book. I'll bet it's all of the above and then some.

In the end, I thought there was more "telling" and not as much "showing". And events that I thought would happen, didn't.

For example, once I read that Peeta was in the hands of the Capitol, I thought, Rescue him, Katniss! Go and rescue him! If you want him safe and well, do something! But that didn't happen. I was very surprised. How could that not be the first thought in her mind? How could she not at least try to get him back?

CHARACTERS
I have a lesser opinion of Katniss now. Maybe I'm being too harsh because I haven't been through the same things as her. I just think she's very weak. She's very brave when it comes to helping others -- but when it comes to her own issues, all she wants to do is run away and hide. I just can't sympathize with her if that's all she does.

I also don't like Gale as much, but I think I'm just normally harsh on him because I see him as Peeta's rival. Even though he's more like Katniss (meaning they're very compatible), I think he's way too cynical, even on her. I don't think Gale has a high opinion of Katniss when it comes to love -- to express that Katniss will choose "whoever she thinks she can't survive without" means she's incapable of falling in love. I know I would never want to be with a guy who thinks that of me.

As for Peeta, I still absolutely love him. I also like Haymitch, Finnick, and Prim a lot more.

PRIM'S FATE
I absolutely hated this. I think I got angry when I read this. Why? Because it adds nothing to the story, except for one thing: it gave Katniss a reason to no longer consider Gale as a love interest; it gave Gale a reason to no longer pursue Katniss. And that's all I saw from this. Prim's fate became the scapegoat. And I hated that.

It just makes me think, Is Katniss not strong enough -- not resolved enough to be able to say for sure which boy she loves without any external interferences? Prim didn't have to die. She could have lived. Yes, maybe her death also lent to the suspicion that the last attack was orchestrated by District 13, but Prim didn't have to die for that idea to form. Instead, if Prim was there and survived the explosion, Katniss could have reached a more conclusive thought to that suspicion.

I don't see any justifications strong enough that says Prim has to die. Katniss protected Prim for so long... I'm just thinking, Why?! While reading through Catching Fire and Mockingjay, I noticed that each chapter usually ended in a cliffhanger, a twist, or a combination of both. This particular twist was NOT appreciated by me.

While running with this thought, Finnick's death was also not appreciated.

FINAL THOUGHTS
So... by re-reading my rants, I guess I didn't really enjoy Mockingjay at all. It just didn't reach the kind of resolution I was hoping for, though I am glad that Katniss finally admitted that she loved Peeta (the thing that drove me to read in the first place). I think if things were written differently -- say, if Katniss actually voiced that she wanted to rescue Peeta -- if Prim didn't die -- if Finnick didn't die -- if Katniss was stronger and more decisive -- I might have a different opinion. For once, I'm hoping the movie will stray away from the original source and provide a better, more accepting alternative.

These last scrolly things are for people who want to comment, but don't want to be spoiled.

********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************
********************************

 Thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment