Translate

Sunday 29 January 2012

EXPOSURES (FOOD PLACES) -- Made in China, Seor Ak San, Akashiro

Small update to my life (because I just want to share it): Starting February 1st, I'm going to finally be a permanent employee of where I currently work. Yay!! Before I was on contract with them for six months, and it was getting close to its end. I was very worried. I spoke with my boss a few times and he always told me that he wasn't going to let me go. Unfortunately, I've had experiences where bosses tell me one thing and then go back on it. So I couldn't believe in it until I actually signed something saying that I was going to continue. Don't want to look forward to something and then get crushed when it doesn't happen.

A small part of me feels like I just signed my soul away, lol. This would be my first full-time, permanent job -- I'm worried if my boss will ever regret it. But I'm happy. I'm very happy. I love working with my team mates and my boss is great. What keeps me loyal to a company is its people. And I owe a lot to this company, for taking a chance on me. Really -- I'm just super appreciative.

Okay, now to the actual blog.


MADE IN CHINA
Location: 371 Yonge St., Toronto, Ontario (close to Yonge & Gerrard) Google Map
Contact #: 416-596-1516
Website: Click! (some of the content is funny)
Type(s) of Cuisine: Chinese
Specialty (if any): None
Price Range (for a main dish): Cheap -- $5.50-$17
Restaurant Size: Medium
Recommend? Yes, with a group

Brief Impression
I went here with a group of friends and I can say that made the experience more pleasant for me. We each ordered a different dish and we got separate smaller plates, so we kind of had a feast. The atmosphere was pleasant, comfy, and clean. The employees there were nice and came by frequently to fill our tea. The food, well, was decent for the price. Except for the chicken, the overall flavour was subtle for me. My friends enjoyed the food, though. I think I'm losing my taste buds... ><''


SEOR AK SAN
Location: 357 Spadina Avenue, Toronto, Ontario (close to Spadina & College) Google Map
Contact # (from Yelp.ca): 416-977-2788
Website: None
Type(s) of Cuisine: Korean
Specialty (if any): Unsure
Price Range (for a main dish): Cheap -- (don't remember the price range; I just remember that it was cheap)
Restaurant Size: Small
Recommend? Not really right now...

Brief Impression
My visit there wasn't the best. I think it had a lot to do with the dish I ordered. I ordered a bulgogi beef dish with some rice wraps (forgot the name of it). While it tasted very good, most of my dish was made up of the rice wraps and only three small pieces of beef. Everything else about the place was okay. The atmosphere made me think about a school cafeteria (unless I'm remembering things wrong -- I went to this place in December). I really liked that the chopsticks, spoons, and forks were already on the table. The small dishes (that usually come with Korean dishes) were good. Another nice thing was that you can ask for no spice for spicy dishes (that would be me). My friends all seemed to enjoy their dishes, though. I'll have to try this place again before it goes on my "Never visit again" list.


AKASHIRO
Location: 260 Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario (In the Urban Eatery food court in Eaton Centre) Google Map
Contact #: 416-596-9900
Website: Click! (I see a few misspellings)
Type(s) of Cuisine: Japanese
Specialty (if any): None
Price Range (for a main dish): High ($12-$19 for lunch sets; California Rolls: $6.95; Dynamite Rolls: $9.95; Salmon Sashimi [5 pieces]: $7.95)
Restaurant Size: Small
Recommend? No (I will probably never go back)

Brief Impression
The atmosphere looks really nice, classy, and clean. The employees are nice and polite. The price of the food, though... yikes! For those wondering why I've included the price for California Rolls, Dynamite Rolls, and Salmon Sashimi above: whenever I go to eat sushi, I would order at least one of those dishes 99% of the time. So those dishes are my benchmarks in determining if the price is, well, pricey or not. $10 for Dynamite Rolls is very pricey in my book. But I ordered it, to try it out. I also ordered Salmon Maki, and Mochi Ice Cream.

The Salmon Maki was okay -- tastes just like regular Salmon Maki. The Dynamite Rolls were very good, but quite crumbly and way too big -- definitely not a one-bite thing. I got the Green Tea Mochi, and I was served with two pieces and a slice of grapefruit. The photo in the menu has three mochi pieces, so don't be surprised if you order it and get two. I don't think the combination of sweet mochi ice cream and sour-bitter grapefruit is very good. It's better to buy a box of mochi ice cream from T & T if you really want to eat it.

I honestly don't know if I would ever go back because of its price. If you can overlook that and decide to try it out, please tell me what you think or if you disagree with my recommendation. Maybe I was just unlucky and ordered the dishes that just didn't taste as high as its price.

No comments:

Post a Comment