Translate

Sunday 17 November 2013

BLOG (PERSONAL) -- Vacation Mode: ON + A Couple of My Current Frustrations

Well, tomorrow starts my week-long vacation. YAY! Since all the changes that happened since the last time I went on vacation (which really wasn't all that long ago), I sorely needed another chunk of time to reflect on what's happened, think things through, and to simply enjoy myself.

Whenever I think of taking vacation, this is pretty much what goes through my head on how I would spend my time: being shut up in my room and being a massive couch-potato -- playing video games, watching anime, watching movies, reading manga, reading books. But I know I'm not really going to do that for the whole time. It's my vacation, after all!

Besides being a couch-potato, here are some other things on my to-do during my vacation. Hopefully I will be able to put a checkmark next to each one.

-Check out the Animal Stories exhibit at Gardiner Museum
-Watch Gravity in 3D in theatres with my sister and her fiance
-Check out Ripley's Aquarium of Canada
-Look into getting my passport (I still don't have one I will need / want one by the new year)
-Karaoke for 2-3 hours straight!
-Check out J-Town (I want to eat some melon bread again)
-Check out a couple restaurants I haven't been to before
-Get acquainted with Python (I still haven't read my 100 pages for my New Year's Resolution!)
-Some secret stuff

I'm also going to spend some of my vacation time thinking about various topics. Last week, I used one of my "Joy of Doing Nothing" cards, because I needed my time spent on thinking about these things instead of blogging. I'm sure I've mentioned some of these in my past blogs -- this definitely isn't the first time I've felt such frustrations. Here are a couple of what I will be contemplating about through my vacation:

My singledom: Now, I'm not frustrated about being single. After being in a relationship after relationship for about 10 years of my life (read this past blog entry if you want to know the timeline), I'm fine with this break. Even though I sometimes miss some of the little details of being in a relationship, I almost prefer to be single at this point in my life. (Hmm... maybe I'll blog about the pros and cons of being in a relationship vs. being single one day).

What frustrates me is the slack I get for being single. I am often told that if I don't get a boyfriend now, then it will be harder for me to get one when I'm older. Then I am often reminded that I am old. Sheesh... It gets pretty annoying sometimes. Here's the thing I'll be thinking about: if it really is harder for me to get a boyfriend when I'm older, can I accept being single for the rest of my life? And if that path is really before me, what sort of things can I do now to prepare for a comfortable, manageable, affordable single future?

With that said, I don't think I will ever seek out a boyfriend for the sake of having a boyfriend. My hopeless romantic side could never accept it. I would feel downright horrible, especially if I had no romantic feelings for the guy.

My hobby priorities: Now this has come up multiple times in past blogs. And I still don't know what to do. I have multiple interests; I have this deep-seeded thirst to learn what interests me; I don't have enough time to learn and indulge all of my interests. It's coming to a point where I feel I'll have to choose what interests to develop, and what interests to leave behind. And I don't want to leave any interests behind.

Sometimes -- just sometimes -- I wonder if it would be worth my while to live in a less busy environment, so that that sort of free time would come more naturally. But that would mean leaving EVERYTHING and EVERYONE I know and care about behind, and that's a scary thought for me.

My thoughts about priorities then turn into other thoughts like: Do I want to change my living environment? And if I do, where would I go? What do I really want to do in the end? My current work is tough, but I still find aspects of it fascinating.

Then I have other thoughts, mainly about the future, and what sort of things I should do now to ensure a better future for myself.

I know I won't find definite answers to these issues during my vacation, but I hope by thinking things through, I'll get closer to what I really want, and how I really feel about these things.


Thanks for reading! I have a couple more work-related things to do, and then my vacation will BEGIN!! You all have a good week! :)

1 comment:

  1. I actually have kind of the same dilemma with my hobbies and their priority. I know gaming will always be no. 1 but there's a lot on my mind, also. In the end, you will have to give up some for others. But I think it's not as bad as it sounds. If you invest, say, 500 hours for a particular hobby (like learning a music insturment, for instance), you won't ever lose the progress. You'll get rusty but if you learn piano you'll always have piano. You won't master, it, however, unless you're a prodigy, but you can learn enough to move on to something else. Give that one 500 hours of your time, then move on to even more things. I think the trick is to figure out what to do first. And what to stop doing while you focus on your first goal.

    But... don't take it from me. I have committment issues.

    ReplyDelete