Translate

Sunday 5 July 2015

BLOG (PERSONAL) -- What I've Been Thinking About These Past Months

Well, to follow-up with my last blog, I figured I'd write about some of the things I thought about these past months. This is like my "mental" update, though I won't write about everything. I can't remember everything that's run through my head -- my mind is always thinking, or at least it feels that way. 

Again, as I said in my last blog, this might not be very interesting for you.

Obligatory Romances in Movies
So I briefly mentioned this a couple times in earlier blogs. Movies with "obligatory romances" kinda annoy me. When I was growing up, I noticed this in many movies. Unless they were a movie for kids, I actually can't think of any movie I watched back then that didn't have some kind of romance in it. 

Now, it's fine if the romance is genuine, is already established between the characters, or is the focus of the movie and works (I mean, I am a hopeless romantic after all, so I do enjoy good romance in movies). I'm talking about movies where the romance feels tacked on or convenient. For example, the main character joins a club and it has tons of members and only one member is the gender the main character is attracted to. Or only one member is super-attractive while everybody else is not so attractive. If the main character falls for that one member, it would annoy me for the most part, because it seems like the character is falling out of convenience. I've never told anybody this before, but the tacked on / convenient romance is the main reason I haven't watched a lot of the James Bond movies. I'm under the impression that the James Bond movies have this general formula (please correct me if I'm wrong): James Bond saves the day and gets the woman. It's just not that appealing to me.

Thankfully, seeing movies like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Big Hero 6, and Kingsman: The Secret Service gives me hope that not every movie in the future will have an "obligatory" romance. Fingers crossed!


Getting Older
Well, my birthday is coming up, so of course this has been on my mind. I wish I wasn't getting older. I certainly don't act my age, and I don't think I'd ever want to.


Saving The "Best" for Last
I kind of have this weird mindset sometimes when I'm trying to decide what to read, watch, or play. A lot of times, I hold back on experiencing something I really want to experience, because I know I will enjoy it, or because I hear it is really good. I don't know why, but I often want to save the "best" for last. I guess it's maybe in case I have a bad time in my life, there will be something I could experience to "cheer" me up. Because of this, though, sometimes it'll be years before I experience something. Even now I haven't played Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on the PS2, many of the Tales of games, many of the Atelier games, Final Fantasy games...

I never really thought much about my mindset before, but now that I'm older with less time and a wayyyy larger collection, I'm wondering if I'll have to re-prioritize things. I don't want to save something for later, and then that "later" just never comes because of everything else that comes up.


Video Game Progression / Save Data
This thought just came into my head a couple weeks ago: how would I feel if maybe 15-20 years down the line, the servers for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn shut down and all the progress with my characters are lost? How would I feel if my PS2 memory cards suddenly stopped working? Would I feel that everything's been a waste? My short answer is no. I still have the memories and at least for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, I've met people that I consider my friends -- people I probably never would have met any other way. That is definitely not a waste. I guess it makes me think about things, though. When I enjoy a game, I always try my best to "preserve" my save data, like having it on multiple memory cards, or saving an online copy for my PS3 / PS4 (since I have a Playstation Plus subscription). Kinda like proof of my time spent.

It's just -- when the newer consoles come out, and the old stuff just doesn't function anymore, will I be okay with it? When Final Fantasy XIV released its Heavensward expansion, they included this feature where if you type "/playtime", it will output your playtime on that character. I did this on my main character a week ago, and it said that I've played for "106 days, 19 hours, and 32 minutes". 106 days... that's over 2,500 hours. That's pretty crazy for me, this being my first paid MMO. Now, I won't stop playing Final Fantasy XIV or other video games I wanna play. I'm still really looking forward to Persona 4: Dance All Night, Persona 5, Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, and a ton of other games. I'm just thinking about it, most likely because I'm thinking of something else, like my reason / meaning for living or something.


Thanks for reading! Next week should be a regular-ish blog since now I'm all caught up. Have a good week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment