Translate

Sunday 22 October 2023

BLOG -- My Trip to Japan V.4 -- ADVENTURE PART 3 (Nakano, Meguro, Asakusa)

Here is Part 3 of my Japan blogs. I'm still covering places I've been to but there are more details for some of them.

As usual, below are links to previous Japan trips that also cover these places:


NAKANO

DAYS SPENT: 1

OVERALL THOUGHTS: I wasn't intending to visit Nakano this year but when we couldn't find the Gunpla my boyfriend wanted to get at Gundam Base Tokyo, I thought of this place. If you are looking for older (and potentially cheaper) anime merchandise, Nakano Broadway might have it.

PLACES VISITED:

Nakano Broadway (RE-VISIT)

It's the same as before: lots of anime shops at varying prices. There were tons of places that sold second-hand goods in clear cases similar to what we saw in that shop in Akihabara. I remember seeing that the last time I visited Nakano Broadway, but I didn't realize that's what they were. There were other shops in Nakano Broadway but we stuck to exploring only the anime-centric ones.

If only I had this much Persona merchandise! :O

An Animate outlet shop that had a bunch of certain merchandise at cheap prices.

A shop with a lot of Junji Ito merchandise and other horror-specific goods. I saw some SMT merchandise as well.

A mini-exhibit of some of Junji Ito's illustrations.

Some more of Junji Ito's illustrations. 

And more.

OTHER PHOTOS:

After exiting Nakano station, walk through this mall to get to Nakano Broadway.


MEGURO

DAYS SPENT: 0.5

OVERALL THOUGHTS: I mainly visited Meguro for two things: I wanted to show my boyfriend the Parasitological Museum, and I wanted to check if that takoyaki place across the museum was still in business. 
Thankfully both places were still there! :)

I do have to say... when walking back to the subway, there was a long strip of sidewalk that was uphill. Partway through my feet were getting so tired but I couldn't stop. With the hot sun beating on us I knew that if I stopped walking I'd probably die from the heat. >_>

PLACES VISITED:

Meguro Parasitological Museum (RE-VISIT)

Call me morbid, but the idea of visiting a parasite museum is fascinating to me. All the parasites were dead, of course, but it's pretty neat and educational. The admission is free as well, though you can make a donation (I donated 1000 yen on our way out).

The nice thing about the parasite museum this time is that most of the exhibits have a QR code that takes you to a site with English translations. It was a pleasant surprise :)

When my boyfriend and I bought something from the gift shop, the employee asked where we traveled from. I wonder if they are trying to gauge how to improve the museum.

The hours of operation. Make sure to check this place out when they are open! :3

Some enlarged parasite exhibits.

An exhibit showing parasites that could live in different parts of the body.

Some notes about parasites.

OTHER PHOTOS:

A nice view over a bridge. I took this exact shot the last time I visited Meguro, haha!

I thought this was a moth, but it might actually be a butterfly. If anybody can confirm what it is, please let me know!

A short video of the moth or butterfly on the subway.


ASAKUSA

DAYS SPENT: 2.5 + many evenings

OVERALL THOUGHTS: With Asakusa as our base in Tokyo, we explored the area quite a bit. The streets close to Sensoji Temple had more traditional architecture. Once you walk far enough, though, the "traditional" transforms to "modern". Overall, this was a decent base of operations if you like being close to temples and good food. 

If I had to choose between Shinjuku or Asakusa as a base... it would depend on your preference and where you want to go. Many places tend to close up earlier in Asakusa than in Shinjuku, and Shinjuku tends to have more for nightly entertainment. Asakusa is much closer to Akihabara, while Shinjuku is much closer to Shibuya.

Please keep in mind that Asakusa tends to be a tourist spot so if you plan to stay around there, book early! My first hotel choice was all booked up for the days I stayed there.

PLACES VISITED:

Nakamise Shopping Street (RE-VISIT)

Do you enjoy large crowds? Crowded stalls? Long walks through large crowds? You do? Well, have I got the place for you! Nakamise Shopping Street is a long street filled with various stalls. There are snacks, souvenirs, clothes -- a bunch of different things. It tends to get crowded quite often so try getting there early in the day if you want to check it out. Prices will vary for each stall so try scoping them out before deciding what to get and where.

I've been to Nakamise Shopping Street years ago and I have to say -- it hasn't really changed. It was crowded then and it's still crowded now!

The entrance to Nakamise Shopping Street.

This was on one of the edges of Nakamise Shopping Street.

The "Not Suspicious" signs just make me suspicious, haha. After some research, this seems to be a well-regarded bar so I may check it out next time.

Sensoji Temple (RE-VISIT)

This place is the same as last time -- very beautiful and full of people! My boyfriend noticed some sermon being held in the back of the main hall and wanted to come back another day around 6:30 AM, so we did... o_o! I was surprised to see some people already roaming about during that time! Sadly when we reached Sensoji Temple we just missed the morning sermon.

If those were not sermons but were other services instead, please let me know!

Sensoji Temple -- we meet again!

Me trying the omikuji (a fortune telling thing). 

No, a bad fortune!! Dx

Drum Museum (RE-VISIT)

I'm glad the Drum Museum is still active after all these years. It's a museum with a lot of drums and many of them can be played on. I took pictures (wherever I could -- some displays didn't allow it) and played on everything that I could. It was a very fun time! 

Admission costed 500 yen each and we were led to an elevator that took us to the drum museum.

The entrance to the Drum Museum is inside this drum / instrument shop. You buy the admission tickets from the cashiers.

Drums!

More drums!

And more drums!

Japanese Sword Museum

I remember the traveller I spoke with two trips ago mentioned the Japanese Sword Museum so I thought, why not? After entering the main entrance, we purchased admission close to the gift shop. The first floor was actually free to explore, but the exhibit with the swords were on a different floor. The exhibit room was quite small, but it was pretty neat. Several swords were displayed with notes in Japanese and English. Please note that pics are only allowed for certain swords.

Something I learned was that each sword has the swordsmith's signature at the base (usually covered by the handle). After learning that fact, I looked for it in every sword on display. 

Admission was at 1000 yen per person, and many items in the gift shop was a bit on the pricey side. I should also note that the Japanese Sword Museum is not that commuter-friendly. It is about a 13 minute walk from the closest subway station (Kuramae), so take that into consideration if you want to avoid walking for that long.

The front entrance to the Japanese Sword Museum

The sword-making process.

How swords were documented back then.

One of my favourite swords on display. The wavy shine looks really nice!

Hozuki Market

We stumbled upon this by fluke. When my boyfriend "dragged" me to Sensoji Temple that morning around 6:30 AM, I noticed a bunch of empty stalls were set up around the temple. Curious, we decided to check back around 7:30 PM and the temple grounds were alive with colourful stalls and people. Did we stumble upon a festival?! We walked around, bought some foods, and enjoyed the sights. Stalls were closing up around 8 PM, but it was a blast.

After getting back to the hotel, I googled it and apparently we stumbled upon something called Hozuki Market -- a festival that happens every year on July 9 - 10 around Sensoji Temple. If you happen to be around Asakusa between July 9 - 10, don't miss out! :)

Sensoji Temple with some empty stalls to the side. I wonder what they could be for?

So this is what the stalls were for!

A shot of some more stalls.

Ooo, a goldfish scooping game. I wanted to try it out, but I'd have nowhere to keep the goldfish.

A stall with a bunch of face masks.

OTHER PHOTOS:

This was close to the hotel. Apparently it's a shoe repair shop. I wanted to check it out.

Asakusa in the evening.

Does that building say "Bandai"??

We found the building. :) We didn't go inside.

A batting cage. This area looked pretty old school.

A sad moment during a crane game.

I imagine these are handprints from celebrities.


That's it for Part 3. The next two blogs will focus on areas we visited while in Osaka. After that will be the usual blog on foods and things I bought, plus a couple more miscellaneous entries. It feels like these Japan blogs will never end, hahaha XD

Thank you for reading! If you have any questions or comments about any of these places I visited, feel free to say something in the comments box or fill out a contact form!

Take care, stay safe, and until next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment