Translate

Sunday 15 September 2019

THOUGHTS [TIFF MOVIES] -- White Lie; Weathering With You

So last weekend I watched a couple movies at Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF). While I love movies, TIFF generally isn't a big thing for me. If I think I have some free time, I might look at the movie schedule and try to watch something that piques my interest (if there are still tickets available for it). Most times, though, I don't plan to watch any movies at TIFF. 

This year, one of my co-workers had too many TIFF tickets so I ended up choosing a couple movies to watch with my sister. Both movies we watched were the premiere showings so we were lucky that there were Q&A sessions after them (I'm not 100% sure if all premiere showings have a Q&A session after the movie).

I won't spoil any of these movies (I won't even have a spoiler section this time), but I'll give a brief plot and then some thoughts. Also, my thoughts on the Q&A sessions, if any.


WHITE LIE

Plot: Katie Arneson, a University student with cancer, tries to raise money for one of her recent cancer campaigns. Thing is... Katie doesn't have cancer and has been faking it the whole time (this is NOT a spoiler. It is established in the very first scene).

Thoughts: Overall, White Lie was very good. Before the movie started, I had slight doubts, thinking it would be very predictable. While it did go in some of the directions I was thinking, for the most part it focused on other areas and I was pleasantly surprised and entertained. The acting was very well done.

But I have to say -- I HATED Katie very much. I just can't get behind somebody who lies the way she does. Well -- I just don't like lying in general. I can understand making promises but not being able to keep them due to Life happening... but saying something without intent or knowing full well that it's not true? No -- I don't accept that. I don't sympathize with that.

This is probably the first movie I've watched where I hated the main character but still enjoyed the movie. 4/5 stars from me.

Q&A Session: This was pretty interesting. The directors Yonah Lewis and Calvin Thomas said White Lie came about due to the trend of individuals faking illnesses online. All I thought was -- there's a trend?? o_o!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEATHERING WITH YOU

Plot: Teenage boy Hodaka Morishima travels to Tokyo and befriends Hina Amano, a girl with strange powers. All the while, rain keeps falling in Tokyo. More things happen -- I'm just not saying what.

Thoughts: This was fantastic. There was a good mix of funny, intense, and sad moments. And the weather -- oh my gosh, the weather. The weather was animated so beautifully and realistically to the point where I felt my own body temperature rise and fall with each change in the movie.

I can see the second half of the movie evoking split opinions. For myself, I enjoyed it, especially the ending. If I ever do a full review of Weathering With You, I may explain why. In the meantime... 4.5/5 stars from me!

Q&A Session: First off -- it was an absolute honour seeing Makoto Shinkai in-person at TIFF. Before the movie started, he spoke a few words and introduced the movie. Then he came back on at the end for the Q&A session.

Makoto Shinkai at the Q&A session.

I wish the Q&A Session was longer... and I'm sure almost everybody who was still there wished the same. If I recall correctly, almost every person who asked a question started by saying how much they loved Shinkai's works. Some questions included themes shown in Weathering With You, if a "Shinkai-verse" exists, and certain movie elements.



That's it for this week.

Thank you for reading!
If you have any questions or comments about anything, feel free!

Take care and until next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment