Translate

Monday 25 July 2022

BLOG (PERSONAL) -- Random Memory Time [Weirdest phone call I've ever had #1]

So far in my life, I can recall three instances when I've had weird phone calls. Maybe they aren't actually weird but I think they are. You can be the judge. Anywho, here's the first instance:

It was one afternoon on a weekend. I was maybe in Grade 10 or 11 at the time. I was planning to call one of my good friends. I picked up my home phone (this was wayyy before ever owning a cell phone) and started dialing the number. When my finger pressed the last digit, I realized that I pressed the WRONG digit! The call was going through... ! I hung up immediately. Seconds later, the phone rang. Nervously, I looked at the Call Display. It was the number I just dialed. Crap!!

My mind raced. Do I answer the call? Do I let it ring and go to voicemail? Do I let somebody else answer it and then get really confused by the person on the other end who's just probably wondering why this number called them in the first place?? After a few more seconds, I picked up the phone. I knew I caused this. I have to rectify it.

It was a man's voice on the other end. Fairly deep and mature-sounding with a slight accent. As predicted, he wondered why I called and I apologized about my misdial. He then asked if I had a bit of time to chat -- he was feeling lonely and very much appreciated getting the call. I thought for a moment. I said I had a bit of time.

I don't recall much about the conversation. I was staying cautious throughout, being sure of not giving out personal, identifiable, useable information. I was raised to not talk to strangers. But I thought -- if a bit of my time can help this person a lot... From what I can remember, I told the person my first name, that I went to high school, and that I dreamed of becoming a writer when I grew up. He told me his full name (though I've forgotten his first name now) and that he was a photographer.

When I said I had to go, he chanted a prayer for me and expressed a lot of appreciation for my time. 


If this situation happened to you, what would you do??

These days, I usually don't answer my phone unless it's somebody from my contacts list, so this kind of situation would almost never happen to me again.


That's it for this blog. Thanks for reading!

Take care, stay safe, and until next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment