Translate

Sunday 20 January 2019

THOUGHTS [TV Show] -- Game of Thrones Season 1 *SPOILERS*

Well, since I'm now alllll caught up with Game of Thrones -- watching 7 seasons in a span of two months... it was a bit crazy, hahaha -- I thought I'd blog my impressions / thoughts about each season, as I wait along with every other Game of Thrones fan for the final season.

These entries will be SPOILERIFIC, so please don't read them if you haven't yet watched that season!

For each entry I'll be covering my overall thoughts about the season (what I liked and what I didn't like), mention any favourite moments or scenes, and then highlight specific characters if I have any more thoughts about them. Even though I've watched all seasons and have more or less formed "final" thoughts about each character, I'll keep my thoughts limited to what I saw in each season for them.

Okay -- now to my SPOILER-Y thoughts!



OVERALL THOUGHTS ON SEASON 1
When I started Episode 1, it was 11 PM on a weekday. I thought, 'I'll just watch the first episode and then head off to sleep. I'll be rested enough for work tomorrow!'. Within the first 10 minutes I see a series of chopped up dead bodies formed in some circular pattern. Then I see a dead girl stuck to a tree by a knife. Then those dead bodies go missing. Then the dead girl is standing around, "alive" with menacing blue eyes. All of a sudden, I thought, 'Will I even be able to sleep after this?!!!'

Other thoughts also came pouring in: 'What is this?! There are ghosts in this series?! There are supernatural things?'. Before starting Game of Thrones, I only knew that there were dragons. This added supernatural element... was completely unexpected. And scary. Whenever I think of Game of Thrones, I will always remember being traumatized by the first 10 minutes of the first episode!

Overall, I think Season 1 did a good job of introducing the characters and the various areas. I was warned beforehand that Season 1 could be a little disjointed and confusing because there are so many characters and places to learn about... so I watched it with the perspective that each main character had their own separate story. Any characters / places that came in contact with those main characters, unless there was any minglings or mentions of each other, stayed in those separate stories. I think watching with that perspective helped me to follow along -- 'cuz I wasn't wondering about how everybody's story was going to come together and I wasn't expecting it.

Now... I'll flat out say that pretty much all the stories / histories of anything that happened before the main characters kinda went over my head. I was already learning about so many characters (who were alive), I couldn't also follow the going-ons with all the characters in the past. The only things I got from those stories were: Lyanna was kidnapped, raped, and died -- and that a lot of stuff happened in the past for the Targaryens. Before the final season airs, I'll make an effort to learn about the lore and histories.

Even though not too much happened with the Dothraki in the beginning, I often looked forward to any glimpses into that wild, horse-riding world. I thought the relationship between Khal Drogo and Daenerys -- how Drogo became a little less aggressive and more tender with her, and how she slowly let herself into the Dothraki way of life -- I thought it was really sweet. 

When Ned Stark was executed, I was very shocked and upset. He was such a good man. I liked that he stood up for what he believed in, refusing to take part in plans to kill Daenerys to the point of giving up his title as Hand of the King.



FAVOURITE SCENES / MOMENTS
-When Catelyn got Tyrion captured. I think she did a really great job of rallying her father's allies. And all to bring justice to the assassination attempt against her son. What a gal!

-All the interactions with Arya and Syrio Forel, Arya's sword dancing instructor. He was an amazing teacher! *tips hat*

-When Daenerys comes out of the flames with her baby dragons. It was a really cool sight!



CHARACTERS - EXTRA THOUGHTS / IMPRESSIONS
Cersei & Jaime -- I hate these two. Not because of their incestuous relationship (that's their own business -- I could care less about that), but because they wanted Brandon dead for seeing them together.

Joffrey -- I hate this guy so much. Abusing his newfound power and then sentencing Ned Stark to death. What. A. Jerk.

Tyrion -- I hate this guy, too. Even though he was a little bit kind to Brandon by providing documents to let Brandon ride a horse, I kept these thoughts in mind: 'He ordered the assassination attempt against Brandon. I can't trust nor forgive this guy'. I was very much hoping he would fall through the sky prison.

Arya -- Arya is such a tomboy -- and I love her for it! I also really like that she doesn't mind being friends with those of a "lower" social status.

Sansa -- I think Sansa is a fool. She actually genuinely liked Joffrey in the beginning? *shiver* 

Little Finger -- I thought he was reliable and trustworthy, until he put a knife to Ned Stark's throat. I have no idea what to think of him. Did he do what he did because he wanted Catelyn Stark for himself? I just know that I can't fully trust him.

Daenerys -- It's embarrassing to say, but I had no idea how to say Daenerys' name properly after watching season 1. I kept calling her Khaleesi. I like her character growth -- how she starts off a little bit like a doormat and ends up with both gentleness and fire in her spirit.


And that's it for this blog! Thanks for reading :) 

If you have any thoughts about Season 1, even disagreements, feel free to comment. But PLEASE keep any comments within Season 1! If you really need to speak about something from the later seasons, please mark it somehow. It's not really for me, but for anybody else who may be reading this entry and are not yet caught up with all the seasons. There's also a comment/message box to the right and those messages should be sent to me directly.

Take care and until the next entry! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment