Translate

Sunday 4 November 2018

BLOG -- Extra Life 2018

So Extra Life is a charity event where participants stream playing video games via Twitch for roughly 20-24 hours while viewers can watch and donate. Some participants have a set playlist of games at certain times, while others play games based on the highest donation. It was my first time "attending" an Extra Life, and I have to say -- what an amaaaazing experience!


For this event I was watching StephenGeorg (surprise surprise, hahaha). I never would have even known about Extra Life if I didn't subscribe to his YouTube channel and had watched through some of his older videos and found his Extra Life playlist. This year him and his wife Mal (with the help of their friends Dan, Chaz, and their Twitch mods) were playing GameCube games, with the goal to reach $30,000 in donations. 

They started on Saturday November 3rd around noon EST and ended around... 4 AM the next day (today). With Daylight Saving kicking in the middle of it, the stream lasted for roughly 17 hours! 

The days leading up to this event, I was very determined to stay up all night with them. Unfortunately I woke up around 6 AM yesterday... so I ended up taking a nap around 1 AM. Then I woke up around 4:30-ish AM to find the stream offline. Initially, I thought this meant they had reached their ultimate donation goal and decided to call it a night. After a bit of snooping, though, I found out that their computer crashed and they couldn't continue the stream without the audio sounding very off (awwww... *pat pat pat*). 

Regardless, though, Stephen and friends reached their donation goals (their first goal being reached within the first 4 hours of the stream!) and I am so happy for them. :)

Their playlist was based on the highest donation. The game would be played for roughly 30 minutes (then they would stop at the next save point) and then the next game would be played. When a game is played, the donation amount is reset to $0, but if enough donations put that game to the top, it can get played again. It was quite fun seeing some games neck-and-neck for top place, or a game shooting straight to the top spot after a very, very large donation.

I made a donation as well, and left this note, which was read out during the stream:

Hi Stephen, Mal, Dan, and Chaz! This is my first time watching you guys in Extra Life. I hope I'll be able to stay up through the whole thing. Please put all of this towards Chibi-Robo, the most dark but wholesome game -- until seeing you guys play Hello Kitty. Keep up the great work! :D

Below was the playlist. Even though I took a nap close to the end of it, I did some snooping and found the full list. Unless I mention something, the games were played by either just Stephen, or Stephen and Mal.

1. Hello Kitty Roller Rescue
2. Mario Kart: Double Dash
3. Chibi-Robo (Mal played this!)
4. Hello Kitty: Roller Rescue
5. Piglet's Big Game
6. Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
7. Metroid Prime (Dan played this!)
8. Super Monkey Ball 2
9. Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door

--Pizza Dinner Break--

10. Time Splitters: Future Perfect (Stephen and Dan played this!)
11. Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
12. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (Stephen, Mal, and Dan played this!)
13. Amazing Island
14. Mario Party 4 (Stephen, Mal, Dan, and CPU [which Chaz declared was him] played this!)
15. Ribbit King
16. Amazing Island (I took a nap after this one)
17. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (Dan played this!)
18. Super Smash Brothers Melee (I'm guessing Stephen, Mal, and Dan played this!)
19. Mary-Kate & Ashley: Sweet 16 - Licensed to Drive (Not sure at all who played this)
20. Gameboy Player Disc (No Game) ~ Caused the computer to crash so stream ended here

Of the games played, Super Monkey Ball 2 made me a little nauseous with all the stage tilting, and Future Perfect's colour scheme was a little too dark for me. Besides those, everything else I watched was fun and entertaining, especially with Stephen, Mal, Dan, and the community's commentaries throughout the games.

I really enjoyed watching Hello Kitty: Roller Rescue, Chibi-Robo, Piglet's Big Game (for the commentary), Harvest Moon: Magical Melody (I gotta play that game someday), Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and Mario Party 4.

The biggest highlight, though, was Amazing Island, this mini-game adventure with a monster creation feature. Stephen created the most creepiest, ridiculous monsters ever -- it was hilarious! I enjoyed it so much that I stayed up to watch them play it a second time, even though my body was already clocked out (I kinda nodded off through most of Ribbit King). You can find some fanart of his creepy creations (along with other fanart based on the stream) on Twitter.

Below are some screenshots I took throughout the stream, and the final total raised since this morning (around 7 AM). If you like, click on the image to enlarge.

Mal playing Chibi-Robo. Stephen instructed everybody to take a 
screenshot of that face and to make that their 
social media avatar (on Twitter, Facebook, etc). Some people actually did it! XD

Stephen's reaction to the title screen of Piglet's Big Game. 
Some viewers commented that Piglet was twerking, hahaha.

The start of the most amazing of amazing islands!

Stephen's first monster creation in Amazing Island. He named her Peggy.

Stephen's second monster creation in Amazing Island. This screenshot is not 
his final work, hahaha. The final creation is wayyy more ridiculous. 
He named him Todd.

Stephen's final donation total as of 7 AM this morning. $64,322! 
I just checked and the total has increased by a bit since then.

And of course...

Stephen's "gathering cry" video -- to let people know Extra Life was happening.



Thanks for reading! If you have any questions / comments, feel free!

I can't wait for the next one -- and I will stay up all through the night!!! The stream is over now, but to catch most of it, you can watch the video on Twitch here. I'm gonna watch from Ribbit King to the end, and then relax for the rest of the day... I never went back to sleep after waking up around 4:30 AM, hahaha... z.z

Take care and until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment