Translate

Sunday 15 March 2020

BLOG (PERSONAL) -- What's Going on in Toronto (Journal #1)

Well, since my life is about to change somewhat and I want to remember this time more accurately than relying just on my memory, I figured I might as well keep a record of it.

Each week for a while, I'll be summarizing pretty much what's going on in Toronto during the COVID-19 pandemic -- any changes, thoughts, activities, whatever. This is more for myself than for anybody else, so this may not be very interesting for you, especially if you live in Toronto and already know about these things.

I think I mentioned this before, but my general, personal thoughts regarding COVID-19 are this: I do not see the COVID-19 pandemic ending anytime soon. Because the virus can spread while those infected are asymptomatic, there is no sure-fire way to keep yourself safe if you are outside in a crowded area. 

I think one of the only ways the pandemic can end sooner, aside from various countries taking measures to limit spreading (lockdowns, event cancellations, etc.), is if the virus mutates into something that is easier to treat / develop a vaccine for. So... until the pandemic ends, I really hope that the mass panic that's been going on will eventually die down. We'll likely be in this for the long haul, so let's get through it together.

Anywho... so things that are happening in Toronto. Please note that this won't be crazy extensive. There's a good chance that I'll miss listing some things, so my apologies about that.

Well, in the beginning (way back in January), there were only extra signage in the airport. Then there were some flight cancellations. Now, with March break starting tomorrow, major changes have started happening.

- All public schools will be closed for two weeks AFTER March break is over. For parents who work during the day and can't bring their kids to their workplace, what will they do?

- Various events are either getting cancelled or postponed. I know this is also happening all over the world (E3 getting cancelled, etc). Notable event cancellations / postponement (at least notable for me) are Toronto Comicon (cancelled), the One of a Kind Show (postponed), and the Hatsune Miku Expo 2020 USA & Canada tour (postponed).

- Closures to major public places, like the Toronto Public Library (all branches), Science Centre, ROM, AGO, Toronto Zoo, CN Tower for the next three weeks (or until further notice). For those on March break, what are they going to do?

- Reduced shopping hours for some major malls like Fairview and Eaton Centre, opening 11 AM and closing 7 PM (or earlier if it normally closes earlier).

All these closures, cancellations, and postponements feel so disheartening, but it's understandable. This is the start of what needs to happen to try limiting the virus spread. 

For myself, a mandatory work-from-home policy will be implemented for the next three weeks, starting tomorrow. While I will relish not having to commute everyday (my main unknown variable for possibly catching COVID-19), I know I will miss seeing and interacting with some of my co-workers. Also, my home is not the optimal work environment since I currently only have one computer monitor (at work we use two monitors).

With the extra time I will save from not commuting to work, and with me prioritizing to stay at home during this time, I'm going to make the most of it and get farther with my New Year's Resolutions. I really want to clean my room...


That's it for this blog. Thanks for reading!


I really hope you all are faring okay, wherever you are. *virtual hug*

If anybody would like me to blog about something else, feel free to leave suggestions in the Comments or to send a message via the Contact Form.


Stay safe, and until next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment