Translate

Sunday 1 March 2020

BLOG (PERSONAL) -- What I Would Do IF I Won the Lottery...

Well... a couple days ago, I had a slightly heated debate with a co-worker about what I would do if I won the lottery. He claimed I would change and would spend a lot of money. I claimed that I wouldn't change and would be pretty conservative with my money-spending. Instead of going back and forth with him on the matter (though we did do that for about 30 minutes the day we talked about it), I'm going to just lay out what I would do if I won the lottery. I've thought about it many times, and I don't see myself veering away from it.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this before in any earlier blogs, but I'll mention it here: I've never been one to seek and own expensive things. It's not because I couldn't afford them (though I guess that is true to an extent); it's because expensive, high-end things have never really interested me. To me, a high price tag doesn't always equate to a high quality product -- AND it rarely ever equates to something I actually want. That is why I don't really see myself spending a lot of money even if I had it.

So... this is what I would do if I won the lottery:

ASSESS MY WINNINGS
First thing before anything, I would see how much I actually won. Then I would look into if any of it could be taken away in the form of taxes and whatnot. Once I know the final amount of my winnings, I would calculate to see how long I'd be able to sustain myself on just those winnings (ahhh, the joys of budgeting!). If I could see myself living for at least 20+ years, then I would do the next thing. If not, then my plan stops here and my life will go on as is, for the most part.

DON'T WORK ANYMORE
This is the most important thing, and generally why I play the lottery -- buying back my own precious Time.

My co-worker said I'd travel to Japan more often and do more travelling in general, but I would disagree to an extent. I could possibly travel to Japan more often... but it would be more likely that I'd travel to Japan and stay there for a longer period of time. The plane ticket alone to Japan and back is so costly, that I'd likely not want to travel there multiple times a year. 

My co-worker also said that I'd buy a place in Japan, but I would highly disagree. I don't think it'd really be worth it since I'd have to have somebody take care of things while I'm not there. Plus I'd likely have to pay taxes or something. Also, in order to maintain my status of "not working anymore", I'd have to spend within my budget. Owning a place in Japan could possibly threaten that status. 

Besides... many of the things I want to do (going through my media backlog, trying to create games and such) involve me staying home or indoors. Of course I would still leave the house every now and then -- just not as often as some may expect from a lottery winner.

Some small quality of life spending I might do is subscribe to more streaming services.

MOVE OUT
If after calculating that I could sustain myself for at least 20+ years and I had enough money left over, I would do this.

Now... I would NOT buy some fancy house that would cost millions a month / year to maintain (that's one way to lose your money fast). It would likely be a small-ish place that is hopefully decently priced. I'd only do this step if I could outright buy the place instead of mortgaging.

OFFER SUPPORT
If I had any money leftover after the above two points, then I can think of doing things for other people. I am actually still figuring out what to do here. Even though I tend to like helping others, I'm not a doormat, and would most likely NOT satisfy a monetary plea from somebody who appears after 20+ years of not talking to me or such or from somebody who treats me like garbage and then all of a sudden changes their tune. It just wouldn't make sense to me.


That's it for this blog! Thanks for reading.

Just from looking at my plan, it doesn't look like my lifestyle would change very much, save for possibly having more free time to do the things I strive to do currently.

If you won the lottery, what would you do? :)

If you have any comments, feel free! You can also contact me via the Contact Form, but note that if I respond, it would be through my alternate e-mail address.

Take care, stay warm, and until next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment