Translate

Sunday 22 March 2020

BLOG (PERSONAL) -- What's Going on in Toronto (Journal #2)

Well, here are more things that have been happening in Toronto during the COVID-19 pandemic. We're not on lock down yet... but it already feels like one... but that could be because I've stayed home almost everyday this week. Again, this is more for myself, so this may not be very interesting for you.

Again, if I miss listing anything, my apologies.

- Since Monday, Canadian borders were closed to everybody except for Canadian citizens, trading / exporting of goods, diplomats, and US citizens. One day later, I believe Canadian borders were closed to US citizens.

- Monday night, restaurants and bars would be closed, only offering take-out or delivery. This was passed just before St. Patrick's Day, which I thought was good timing. I really hope the small businesses will survive through this, though! For sure this has already resulted in some being laid off...

- Public gatherings of 50 or more are not allowed.

- On Wednesday, a "$27 billion aid package and up to $55 billion in tax deferrals" was laid out. Initially, I didn't know what that meant, but it seemed to include support for various situations. More info about it could be read here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/economic-aid-package-coronavirus-1.5501037 

- Practicing social distance is encouraged, but not enforced.

- Some internet providers are waiving data overage fees to accommodate those working from home, which is really nice.


For myself, I've been working from home since last Friday. Over the weekend, I bought a second monitor so I could do my work a bit more efficiently. Unfortunately, my desk space is pretty tight so the monitors are set up a little weirdly (I might show a pic of it in later weeks).

I left the house on Monday to buy a lotto ticket. The closest kiosk to me was closed due to the pandemic so I travelled downtown. When I did find an open kiosk, I bought my ticket. For lotto tickets in Canada, you can buy tickets for up to 26 weeks' worth of future draws. I was very amused at the kiosk person's reaction when she scanned in my ticket (which was marked for 26 weeks) and the total ticket cost came out to over $200. Now I'm set for pretty much the next six months. If I don't win anything between now and then... hahaha...

After that Monday, I don't really intend to leave the house anymore except to throw out garbage, but I will be expecting a package in about two weeks (Persona 5 Royal, squeeeee! <3 <3 <3). Fingers crossed it won't be delayed.

About the line-up that happened outside an EBGames store to pick up Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Doom: Eternal... I'm not surprised. I can't comment on Doom: Eternal, but I know that Animal Crossing is still a really popular game, and one that could offer a lot of fun and escape during this rough time. If I had a Switch, I would have gotten the game as well, though I'd have it delivered, since I don't shop at EBGames that often anymore.

During my downtime (which hasn't been much since I'd been working a lot this week), I've been watching this old-ish TV show called Six Feet Under. So far, it's very good. Very morbid and quirky -- but very good. It makes me think about so many different things.


That's it for this blog. Thanks for reading!


If anybody would like me to blog about something else, feel free to leave suggestions in the Comments or to send a message via the Contact Form.


Stay safe, take care, and until next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment