Translate

Sunday 24 February 2019

THOUGHTS [TV SHOW] -- Game of Thrones Season 4 *SPOILERS*

Just like in my previous Game of Throne entries, this entry will contain SPOILERS!! So please don't read unless you have watched Season 4!

For my thoughts on the previous seasons:
Season 3 
Season 2
Season 1


OVERALL THOUGHTS ON SEASON 4
First thing I have to say -- Yesssssss, Joffrey was killed off! The way he died was a little too brutal for my liking, but now I don't have to think about him suddenly wanting to off my favourite characters.

Overall... so many things happened in Season 4. At least, so many things that I gave a crap about, hahaha. Ahh, Shae and Tyrion... and Oberyn... I'll talk about them a little later.

To me, Cersei's reaction to Joffrey's death was a little too much. I mean, I can understand (she just lost her son) -- but her vengeful emotions were definitely misdirected. She should know that Tyrion would never carry out an assassination on Joffrey in a way that would make him the obvious culprit. He's too cunning for that. She just wanted somebody to pay -- and who better than somebody she already hates... 

I must confess to something embarrassing. When Season 4 started and I saw Jaime for the first time in Season 4, I didn't recognize him with his clean haircut and no facial hair. For a short while, I actually thought they replaced actors for Jaime until I looked it up on Wikipedia and saw he was the same actor.

I think... as much as I love Daenerys, I don't think she knows how to rule very well. I'm glad she often considers advice from others before making decisions, but even then sometimes her emotions and her "eye for an eye" justice will supersede the "fair" decision. I was hoping she would forgive Jorah instead of exiling him.

Ygritte's death was so sad for me. I really wanted to see more of her in the series -- I loved her accent and her attitude, and how she interacted with Jon. But I kinda knew that there would almost be no chance that Ygritte and Jon would both survive the "Battle of the Wall" (or whatever that battle was called). I knew one of them would die. *weeps*

Okay... Shae and Tyrion's relationship. It makes me sad, thinking about these two, because I really believe that they both loved each other. When Tyrion "broke up" with Shae, thinking that was the only way she would leave King's Landing and ultimately be out of harm's way, I think Shae genuinely believed his words and was heartbroken... and so, in retaliation, stood on trial and told lies to get back at Tyrion. I mean -- if you wholeheartedly believed you were loved, only to be told that it was all a lie, what would you do? How would you feel? I'm not saying what she did was right or justified... but I can understand it, and it makes me sad.

When Tyrion later found Shae in Tywin's bed, I wish some words could have been exchanged instead of just actions to try killing each other. Couldn't some understanding have been reached? Is there no room for forgiveness in that world... at all?

I think there are various interpretations for Shae's character and motivations, leading to various reactions to her death. I'm choosing to believe she genuinely loved Tyrion, making her choice to retaliate via the trial, and ultimately making her death very sad -- at least very sad for me.

I hated seeing Prince Oberyn go -- I wanted him to win the trial so that Tyrion could go free. I also wanted him to get his justice for what happened to his sister Elia. Victory was sooo within his reach... 

Arya's journey was still a little slow this season. But I was super excited when she boarded the boat to Braavos at the end of the season. Finally! 



FAVOURITE SCENES / MOMENTS
-When Oberyn visits Tyrion in his prison cell and tells Tyrion how they had met before and that he will be his champion in the trial by combat. Very, very wonderful acting and strong words.

-When Ygritte had her bow aimed at Jon and all Jon responded with was a light smile. He was just happy to see her again -- and she was happy to see him. It made her death all the more depressing.

-When Daenerys ordered for barrels to be catapulted at the walls of Meereen and when the barrels broke, slave collars fell out. I think that imagery was so powerful.

-Tywin's death. It was an emotional turning point for Tyrion, and the scene was so well-done.



CHARACTERS - EXTRA THOUGHTS / IMPRESSIONS
Tyrion -- He is still my favourite! Just had to say that.

Little Finger -- He is really getting on my nerves, with all his sneaky going-abouts and lies.

Jojen Reed -- It's really too bad he was killed off this season. I wanted to see more of his character.

Ramsay -- With Joffrey gone, Ramsay is the replacement for the most cruel, evil character, hahaha. Now I'm counting down to his end.

Jaime -- I appreciate that he loves Tyrion -- when nobody else in the family would (except for maybe Tommen and Myrcella). Also, props to him for helping Tyrion escape.


And that's it for this blog! Thanks for reading :)

If you have any thoughts about Season 1-4, even disagreements, feel free to comment. But PLEASE keep any comments within Season 1-4! If you really need to speak about something from the later seasons, please mark it somehow. It's not really for me, but for anybody else who may be reading this entry and are not yet caught up with all the seasons. There's also a comment/message box to the right and those messages should be sent to me directly.



Take care and until the next entry! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment